Monday, April 5, 2010

47 ~ Bones

I am a fan of the TV show, BONES, but not an episode goes by that something in it does not tick me off.

Granted, most things tick me off, and on a regular basis, but BONES never fails to not only include, but to EMPHASIZE things that make me angry. Case and point, an episode I watched today.

I was surprised at the turnabout today, because it is usually Temperance Brennan that rubs me the wrong way, but this time it was Seely Booth. Which is saying something, because he is extremely sexy. He is also Catholic, and annoyingly vanilla, mainstream, and narrow-minded. This episode, however, was far worse than usual.

The background of the mystery was "pony play" (I believe that is the term they used), a fetish where people dress up as, you guessed it, ponies and had riders, the whole shebang. Not a fetish that interests me, but I'm cool with it; it isn't surprising that it exists, and it doesn't weird me out like some kinks do. (I am cool with most kinks I have heard of, but dealing with extremely dangerous components is a huge turn-off.)

In any case, Booth was a total dick throughout the entire episode, calling them freaks, treating them like there was something wrong with them, degrading kink in general. At the end of the episode he even had a little speech, saying that sex with kink is lesser because it's making love that is truly amazing, yada yada ya.

A few disclaimers: I believe that sex with a special connection is better. I believe that casual sex is not in the same league as sex in a deep relationship. And I do not believe that kink is a substitute for emotional depth.

That's just is! It should be an ADDITION. But the woman of the deceased was even dumping her husband for having this kink. Granted, he was also having an affair, and I don't think that is acceptable, but I didn't exactly blame him. Her first reaction when she saw the kink? "He's a pervert."

That is a typical reaction, so the character didn't anger me, the general opinion did. Seely exemplified this. And I was in a rage over it. Close-mindedness prevailed in that episode.

Brennan, however, was totally awesome, talking about the perfectly normal, perfectly healthy presence of fetishism in human sexuality. Unlike the rest of the opinions involved.

Once again it is proven that I can NEVER work with hardcore scientists, Christians, or vanilla people. I'd either scare them, convert them, or kill them. Or they'd kill me. Fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment