Friday, March 26, 2010

42 ~ I Am A Poly Dictionary

I have been used as a dictionary and thesaurus as long as I can remember. I am a voracious reader, and I have a gift for remembering not only all the new words I read, but how to spell them, what they mean, and what other words are similar to them, and the nuances of their differences.

Last semester in psychology, my class was mostly ignorant to the fact that bisexuality existed, much less pansexuality, what transgenderism really means, and so forth. So I researched the hell out of everything I could--learning a lot of new information in the process, and solidifying what I already knew--and presented this new information to the class. Alone. Of my own free will. For no reason other than to educate a small slice of the population of Texas.

I am certainly not an expert on polyamory or any subculture, for that matter, but I have been exposed to them a lot more than almost all of my peers, even my liberal friends up North. Partly because I am an odd swan even among other ugly ducklings, but mostly because I thirst for knowledge like I thirst for words.

My best friend, Rose, was in a class discussion on sex, and monogamy came up (as it often does). She immediately thought, Ooh, I should bring up poly and stuff! But there wasn't much time left in class, and she couldn't remember all the info I'd thrown her way, regardless. So she plans on bringing it up next class, or on the student disccusion boards.

I am, needless to say, thrilled. I asked her what she remembered, refreshed her memory, kept away from the minutiae (mostly), and dictated that she accredit this knowledge to me when she educated her peers.

I am always willing to learn. I learn every day, and life is so exciting for it. Now if only I'd get a boyfriend, already...

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, and telling my peers would be a hell of a lot less awkward than telling people down your way. XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not even *I* have tackled THIS subject with anyone nearby, not even my parents or my cool new friends. Jonah doesn't count.

    Also, you once said I was brave for being so outspoken in Texas...I'm gonna get myself killed XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, you are. DON'T DIE!! I won't die in NY with my viewpoints. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. NY vs. TX--HUGE difference!!!

    WITCHCRAFT being offered proves that XP

    ReplyDelete
  5. XD THAT CLASS WILL BE SO AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete